Lectures & Grand Rounds
Each Wednesday morning (8am-1pm) is dedicated exclusively to didactics to complement and enhance the learning experience. During this time, residents are free from all clinical responsibilities. Attending physicians cover the resident's pagers and all clinical service. The didactic program consists of eight modules: Brain Injury, Spinal Cord Injury, Ultrasound, Electrodiagnostics, Musculoskeletal, Prosthetics & Orthotics, and Spine. Each module is designed by a Stanford PM&R faculty leader. Didactics include lectures from Stanford PM&R faculty and guest lectures from faculty in other fields: neurosurgery, orthopedics, physical therapy, occupational therapy, prosthetics, urology, radiology.
Sample Module Schedule
|Week 1||ASIA Exam||SCI Epidemiology & Mechanisms of Injury||SCI Primary Care|
|Week 2||DVT Prophylaxis||Nontraumatic SCI||FES in SCI|
|Week 3||SCI Pain||Heterotopic Ossification||Metabolic Syndromes in SCI|
|Week 4||SCI Anatomy||Neurologic Recovery in SCI||SCI Respiratory Management|
|Week 5||Neurogenic Bladder||Neurogenic Bowel||Autonomic Dysfunction|
|Week 6||Board Review||Neuroradiology in SCI||Practice Management|
In addition to Wednesday morning protected didactics sessions, our residents receive both formal and informal lectures during each rotation.
These are usually held once per month and include lectures by Stanford faculty as well as visiting lectures from leaders in the field of PM&R.
- Outcomes, Value-Based Care and New Opportunities for PM&R
- Trauma and Healing: Adaptive Lifestyle Skills and Motivational Strategies
VA Musculoskeletal Clinic
- Monday and Fridays-Musculoskeletal Exam Basics
- Monday- EMG Lecture
- Tuesday-Resident lecture series (topics chosen by residents)
- Monday-Case presentations
- Tuesday- Sport/Spine lectures
Tuesday Lecture Series
VA SCI Inpatient
- Monday- EMG lecture
- Tuesday- Resident lecture
- Tuesday- Ultrasound basics
- Tuesday- Sports Journal Club
- Thursday- Neuroradiology Rounds
- Thursday- Urology lecture
- Thursday- SCI Journal Club
VA Polytrauma Inpatient
- EMG lecture
- Resident lecture series
Grand Rounds is usually held once a month. Lecture schedule includes Stanford faculty as well as visiting lectures from leaders in the field of PM&R.